Saturday, February 13, 2010

House & Home: Pop's Legacy

I'm not really sure how long Grandpa K (Pops) has been making furniture but it's been for way longer than I was alive. Some of my earliest memories of visiting my grandparents' house was going down into the basement to work in his workshop. I remember making fruit for my mom and shelves for all kinds of things.
IMG_0145
I think this hutch was one of the earliest pieces he made. Done completely with handtools for Grandma. It was always a source of such pride for my Grandma and sat in a special place of prominence in their kitchen. And when she passed away some paint was added but then it made it's way to my house.
IMG_0149
Over the years there have been many other pieces made for the family. He made me a cradle to sleep in when I was first born and as you can see it is now being used by another generation.
IMG_0147 IMG_0146
IMG_0151 IMG_0154
IMG_0152 IMG_0153 IMG_0148
A bookcase for me and one for Mini. Nightstands for my parents that have been used by three generations. A cedar chest. An armoire. A chest of drawers. A bench. A dollhouse. Assorted tables of all shapes and sizes. Our house is filled with treasures that Pops made for us.
IMG_0156
Our latest edition is this great bench that opens to hold hats, mittens, and scarves. They are all made with lots of love, time, and precision and will hold up like that first hutch to be used by many future generations. A true legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment